Sunday, July 19, 2009

A Photo and an Article

I've been working on inserting photos/drawings from historical figures from the 1870 Washburn expedition to my story. The basic idea is that Truman draws unconsciously and turns out an exact replica from the expedition, of which he of course knows nothing about. For this one, he is just begining to learn about his grandfather, Truman Everts the first, through the scrap-booked articles and his article published in Scribner's Monthly. This is one such article that he finds and sticks into his journal, which I footnote like this: [1] This article was placed between the pages of this entry. --ed. I do this to again create for the reader, the effect of validity and truthfulness, which my hope is that the reader will see the irony of the situation, in that I create a fictitious character portrayed to be true but receives real information. Any way, this is a cool, short article from Oct. 6th, 1870 in the Helena Herald.

2 comments:

  1. "...the recovery of the lost man." That's just amazing. This artifact gives a haunting quality over the story as I understand it so far. This is getting even better, because adding these realistic details, which are written so unintentionally ironic, give life to your Truman.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just curious: is this from microfilm? Or how did you get your hands on it, at any rate?

    ReplyDelete